Croeso i flwyddyn 4/5
Mr R Lewis
PE - Tuesday and Thursday
Autumn Term 2017 - Lotions and Potions
This project has a science focus and teaches children about the changing state of materials including solids, liquids and gases. At the heart of this project children write autobiographies and biographiesof famous scientists and develop additional skills in recording investigations and fair tests using scientific formats and vocabulary.
In the Innovate Stage children apply their skills and understanding by creating their own products to sell in the gift shop ‘Potions’ using what they have learnt about materials and their changing properties.
In this project the children will learn:
• About processes which change the state of a range of materials including freezing, melting, boiling, drying, dissolving and burning;
• How materials can be separated by filtering and sieving;
• How we use these processes in our everyday lives;
• How to carry out fair tests and investigations;
• About the features of autobiographical and biographical writing and how to use these to write about themselves and others;
• How to carry out tests and investigations safely and with attention to detail;
- How to use maths including measures in a real life context.
We have been working hard to improve our hockey skills and this week we were able to have a few small matches.
We made a mixture using full fat milk and food colouring and predicted what would happen when we added a drop of washing up liquid. Some colours reacted differently to others but the outcome was very interesting! It also made pretty patterns!
We have recently been looking at the properties of solids, liquids and gases in our lessons and we did an interesting science experiment to demonstrate some of these. We used water, oil and a fizzing tablet and observed how the gas created, tried to escape the two liquids.
Our focus in PE for this term is hockey and we all worked hard during our first session to learn how to control and pass the ball.