Croeso i flwyddyn 4/5
Mr R Lewis
PE - Tuesday and Thursday
Spring Term 2018 - Heroes and Villains
This project has a history focus and teaches children about heroes and villains from different periods of history, their motives, their beliefs and the ways in which they changed the world.
At the heart of this project children write persuasively in the form of reports and
letters, and additional skills in writing biographies and speeches.
In the Innovate Stage children apply their skills and understanding by becoming an historical hero for the children of 2090.
In this project the children will learn:
• How to research using a range of historical source materials including ICT and the media;
• The chronological order of a range of significant people throughout history and about the times in which they lived and how this influenced them;
• About a range of influential historical figures and about their beliefs and actions;
• About contemporary heroes and villains;
• How to write in a range of forms to persuade people;
• Why laws and social change comes about from the impact of heroes and villains;
• How to perform an influential speech.
As part of our topic, we made mixtures by measuring out different ingredients into a container. We then tried separating them again by methods such as filtration, evaporation, dissolving and sieving. Some of us also used magnets to remove any magnetic items.
We had a great trip to Llancaiach Fawr Manor where we learnt about potions from the past and made our own soap. We also had a tour of the manor house and met the people that lived there!
The results of our 'Reversible or Non-reversible' experiment.
We have been working hard to improve our hockey skills and this week we were able to have a few small matches.
We made a mixture using full fat milk and food colouring and predicted what would happen when we added a drop of washing up liquid. Some colours reacted differently to others but the outcome was very interesting! It also made pretty patterns!
We have recently been looking at the properties of solids, liquids and gases in our lessons and we did an interesting science experiment to demonstrate some of these. We used water, oil and a fizzing tablet and observed how the gas created, tried to escape the two liquids.
Our focus in PE for this term is hockey and we all worked hard during our first session to learn how to control and pass the ball.